Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Galatos Live



Working 3 nights at the bar this week.
But I'm happy because this is my last three weeks of working at the bar, so I wanna make the most out of it.
I'm really going to miss bartending.. it's the only job out of all my part-time jobs that I've actually loved.
It's been almost two years since I started working at Galatos, yet every time I work it is always a different experience.
I think I got really lucky getting his job; if I had gotten a bartending job at any other bar or club, I probably would've quit by now.
It's because Galatos is a live music venue so every week there is always something different going on; from concerts to auction nights to comedy shows to birthday parties. And I think I've probably seen a band/singer from every music genre.
It's been really awesome, and has really opened my eyes to all the talented people in NZ. Everyone (the old me included) always thinks that NZ artists are nowhere near as good as American or European artists, but it's because they haven't given them a chance. If they really tried listening to some of their music, they might not be as ignorant. For example, one of my faves that has performed at Galatos twice is Jesse Sheehan.


My fave line in this song: 'Sometimes I get so horny I could fuck the sky' haha
Really like his style of music and it's also a plus that he has a really hot drummer (cough Amanda hahahah)
And of course you have Lorde, Stan Walker, Ginny Wigmore, all who have performed at Galatos.

I remember the first time I started working at Galatos, back in March 2011 when it first opened. Galatos actually has been around for decades and was a popular spot in Auckland CBD. But business gradually declined, until eventually it was decided that it would be turned into residential apartments. Then came Andrea & Dean (my current bosses) who bought the place to prevent that from happening. Dean is actually a huge music-lover; he plays the sax and used to be in a band.  So they bought the place, refurbished it from top to bottom, and bam Galatos was re-born.

Anyways I remember the six of us girls working on the first night of the grand opening. It was so chaotic as none of us knew how to bartend. We didn't get any proper training, so pretty much had to figure everything out ourselves. Luckily, I drink a lot so I was familiar with most of the different types of spirits, beer and wine. But still it was a pretty crazy and unorganized night. We kept running out of drinks and coins for change, the Eftpos machine kept breaking down; we really had no idea what we were doing. But it all worked out in the end, and gradually we got better, management became more organized and we got busier and busier, and now we always have at least two events on every Friday & Saturday night (as Galatos has three levels) I am quite proud to say that I have brought in almost 10 events myself (mostly birthday parties) hehe

So yeah.. I really am going to miss Galatos. And Andrea is the nicest boss in the world! For a while, I even thought about buying the place when they retire in a few years but don't know how realistic that idea is haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment