Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Poker baby

ok so I'm kinda addicted to blogging now haha, actually I always have been but my other blog was private so nobody could read it.
I just felt like when it was private, I could write about whatever I wanted, but when you know people will read it, you kinda change how you write and what you write, you know what I mean jellybean? lol

Anyways so I got a new part-time job today!
I was just scrolling down student job search yesterday, and I came across this 'Poker Dealer' job. It was for a poker table rental place in town, and they needed someone to deal at events & functions around Auckland.
I love poker, and I play it regularly so I thought why not? Plus the pay was pretty good at $20-$25 an hour.
Usually I'd have to apply through sjs and then call them tomorrow and wait for them to refer me. But in the job description, the guy said text, call or email him anytime so I went on his website and got his contact number and then I texted him saying I was interested. He replied almost instantly and told me he would give me a call tomorrow.
So he called me today, and we had a chat about my poker experience, and availability etc. He told me he primarily needed someone to deal at a pub in Manurewa every Saturday afternoon, but he would cover all my petrol costs. At first I was a bit unsure, since I thought it might be dodgy seeing as it's in South Auckland and all :p
But he told me to come watch him deal at a birthday function tonight, so I thought I would just see how it goes. And it was pretty fun actually, and he let me deal a few rounds too! I'm quite familiar with most of the rules of poker, but there were soo many little details I had to remember. For example, always hold the deck of cards in your hand rather than on the table, collect all the chips and stack them in the middle before I dealt a new card, raising blinds every 15 minutes, and I kept forgetting who's turn it was. My boss Leon was
really nice, and patient and he also taught me how to shuffle; he used this method which I haven't seen before, so now I have to go home and practice it haha,
But yeah it was really fun, so I'm pretty keen to continue. I have another training session on Thursday, and then I start work this Saturday! Excited :D

Other than that, I had to go uni today for a meeting with the uni clubs financial advisor to go over the financial review for HKESA. Ugh it's so annoying, they need so many documents and it's hard cause I wasn't in the club last year, so I have no idea what the events were, or how much they paid for every event and so forth. The lady was nice though, she sat down with me and we went over a checklist, so now I have to prepare some more documents to send her. She asked me what my plans for next year are, and I told her about my job at Fonterra, and she said she's worked at both a corporate and CA firm, and she said corporate is much better, which is exactly what my colleagues at my internship said too haha. Now I'm so put off working at a CA firm! lol must be super boring.

Anyways after that, I went with Brandon to get his regalia. He's graduating next month! yays! I still remember how stressed he was during the final months of his masters thesis, glad that's all over now.
I'm pretty excited about my own graduation too, but that's still a year away booo :(
hmm I wonder if I should get him something for his graduation haha, maybe I'll see if I can find a graduation panda since he loves pandas, hehe we have a panda family now it's pretty cute (3 of them are from me) I should take a photo and upload it next time XD

My blog looks so dull so I shall upload some photos today :)



my mum sends me the cutest txts lol.. 



yummy beef noodle soup from Grand Central Food Court in town! It's one of our favourite places to eat now, as they have lots of authentic foods from Japan, Korea, Vietnam etc. The pho is especially good! :)


lol he's such a poser..

1 comment: